Monday, September 28, 2009


In my first book, I had quotations at the beginning of each chapter that in some way had to do with the theme of the following pages. I have since removed them because I found that the quotes were in most cases more helpful and meaningful to me as a way to regroup my thoughts and pin-point exactly what I wanted to say and less important to the overall impact of the novel. But there are a few that remain so inspiring to me that I thought I'd share them here:

"The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance - it is the illusion of knowledge." -David Boorstin

"Truly it is in darkness that one finds the light, so when we are in sorrow, then this light is nearest of all to us." -Meister Eckhart

And my personal favorite:

"For me, writing something down was the only road out." -Anne Tyler

And just the other day, a friend told me "the surest way to be happy is to really, really want what you already have..." Big aha moment for me. So you see, I'm a sucker for a great quote if you have one to share!

1 comment:

  1. Hey there! I found your blog on blogcatalog. I have also just completed my first novel and am hoping to get it published.

    Good quotes, especially the Tyler one. I only had one quote in my novel, and I placed it at the start. It was a quote from one of my favorite childhood books.

    ReplyDelete