Friday, June 18, 2010

Favorite Friday

For the summer months, we're going to lighten the mood a bit. In that vein, I've decided to be fun and introduce Favorite Fridays (just for fun and to learn more about all my friends out there!)

As writers and wordsmiths, we all love words. We like the way certain ones fit together perfectly and the way others make us feel. We like the way they sound in our head and the way others sound spoken in a crowded room. Words are fabulous! So this week, I want to know your favorite word. I'm sure you have at least one - you know, the word you love to use and work into conversation. I have several. One of my favorites is panoply. It just sounds fun rolling off the tongue. Try it! But my all time favorite is ferhoodled. It is a Pennsylvania Dutch word as in, "I was so ferhoodled by his sudden affection that I laughed when he leaned in to kiss me!" I love it, love it, love it! Just saying it makes me smile.

So please share - what is your favorite word?

6 comments:

  1. Kerflummoxed. And swimmingly. I love saying those!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can see why you like ferhoodled, it's fun!

    I struggle to answer a question like this, I love most words.

    I guess I would say some of my favourites are place names here in Oz, like: Wooloomooloo; Mullumbimby; or Coolongolook.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find myself using the word "Albeit", mostly when I'm making a joke.

    Ever read the book The Word Snoop - tons of facts about where words come from. I couldn't put it down.

    If any author uses the word "rogue", I find myself doing a double-take!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Al - I always think Oz names look so made up *giggle* but then I live in Wainuiomata so really ;p

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmmm...too many to list! Maybe "Dinner!"

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooooh, these are some good words - swimmingly IS fun to say and, Leah, "rogue" makes me stop in my tracks too! Al, I wish I could hear how some of those Oz places sound...I'm sure I am murdering them!

    ReplyDelete